Oct 15, 2010

Day 4:Sibling

Today is day 4 of my 30 day letter challenge, and the recipient is supposed to be my sibling or closest relative, but as I have so many, I want to pick one and really write instead of short messages to each one.

Dear K,

You have been such an important person over the last several years of my ore, and I am not sure what I would have done without you by my side as a pillar of support. Even though we are not blood related, I feel that you are such a firm part of my family that I know if something were to ever happen to my brother, we would take you in and care for you as if you were our own.

At a time when our parents failed me, when my blood brothers and sisters let me down, you were there to accept me, to comfort me, to talk about all the things that seemed so taboo with everyone else in our family.

I regret now that so many in our family gave you a hard time when you first married my brother. So many thought you were concerned with money, that you were taking without giving back. As a child I was not fond of you. I grew up in a house with no rules, with unlimited freedom and a lack of supervision. You made me come in at night for a steady bedtime, made me help with the dishes or babysit your daughter. As a seven year old, I hated having an authoritative figure, and took it out on you. Now, as an adult, I can understand that you were one of the few people who cared enough about me to want to give me a stable home. You tried to fill in where my father failed, and I wish I could thank you enough for that.

Somewhere as I grew into an adult, you became one of my best friends, and I love you deeply. Thank you for being my sister.
-Tabby

No comments:

Post a Comment