Dec 27, 2009

Christmas/Family

Part of me loves Christmas. I love cooking with my mother, wrapping presents, setting up the Christmas tree, feasting with family, playing with the kids. I love the whole family experience of Christmas.

I love my family, don't get me wrong, but for as open minded as they are about some things, they are extremely close-minded about others. The other part of me hates Christmas, because it is a time when family gathers around the table and discusses current events. This year it was the Christmas Day bombing, which led to my brother-in-law and my grandmother talking about how everyone who follows the Muslim religion is evil. A lot of times my family sees everything in black and white, and no matter how much I try to convince them otherwise, they are set in their ways.

I'm afraid that if I ever have a girlfriend that I do want to bring home, that my family will scare her off. While my mother and my sisters are very accepting of my sexuality, my extended family, especially my grandmother, just wouldn't see it that way. I'm sure she would love me despite it, but she wouldn't be happy about it.

Christmas is always a mixture of and good and bad for me. I wonder if it's kind of like that for everyone. On the upside, my nieces and nephews sent me drawings that they did as my Christmas presents, and nothing makes me happier than homemade things from my little ones!

1 comment:

  1. I got lucky. I didn't even officially come out to my grandmother, but it wasn't difficult for her to figure out who this "friend" I was bringing around was. So she pulled me aside and said she knows and she accepts me, thinks my girlfriend is awesome, and that I shouldn't give a damn about what anyone else thinks. After that I thought, you know what if Grandma accepts me, screw everyone else. Now if only my Mother would get over it (she's doing a lot better now though).

    ReplyDelete